Saturday, January 3, 2015

My first Lindy's Stamp Gang DT project!

Hello everybody, I'm super excited to share with you my first project as a member of the Lindy's Stamp Gang Seasonal Design Team. 
 
In line with the gorgeous colour palette for January's Challenge, I've used shades of purple along with Orange Creamsicle and Cosmopolitan Pink. 


Here's a tutorial on how I created it. 
 
Firstly, I layered lots of different die-cuts and a doily onto my canvas. 
 

I lightly marked where my photo would go.  I added some laces, buttons, and embellishments I'd made from paper clay.  Next I painted everything with white Gesso, and added flat flowers.  

 
I sprayed a few layers of mists, building up the colours in different areas.  When you are using contrasting colours, my tip for spraying is to build the colours in separate areas first, starting with lighter tones and then build depth with the darker sprays.   Don't spray all over with one colour, then expect the contrast colour to pop.


Darker purple tones were added for depth.  I allowed my dark purples to sit in the crevices around the diecuts, the top of the diecut will resist absorbing the spray because of the gesso.

 
I stamped some leaf patterns using clear embossing ink, and embossed with Aurora Amethyst embossing powder. I also inked and embossed the highpoints of the paper clay mouldings.
 


 
My metal flowers and title was embossed with Pop Rock Purple embossing powder (which is opaque), then the "My" and the lower part of "Girls" was embossed with Aurora Amethyst (which is translucent). 
I love the effect this creates!
 

My chipboard branches were painted with Witches Potion Purple, and heat embossed once dry using Aurora Amethyst.  Cosmopolitan Pink Starburst spray was added to create a few highlights.
 

And here are some closeups of the finished project.


 
The flowers were misted with shades of purple Starburst sprays to give that beautiful shimmer.
 



 
 

3 comments:

  1. I saw your post on Lindy's. Your canvas is so very beautiful, as is your family, and your techniques are awesome and I hope to learn from them as I am new to mixed media. I saw mention in browsing your blog of the fact that you made some clay embellies - just wondering what sort of clay you use and where you get your molds? If you happen to read this and have a minute, could you let me know. I live in the U.S. and I know you live in beautiful Australia, but perhaps I can find the products here as well. Thank you kindly and Happy New Year to you and yours. Kathy Bradley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, thank you for your wonderful comments. Welcome to the fun world of mixed media! I hope to do some videos soon (as soon as I work out the best way to record, edit and post them!) I used a product called paperclay. I'm not sure of the brand as it was sold to me in a plastic container, it is very lightweight, and air hardening. There is a similar product by Mont Marte called Cartoon Clay. I pressed it into a silicon mold and allowed it to dry. You can also paint or mist it to add colour (after it dries), or mix a powdered paint pigment in to colour it (before it dries). Hope that helps :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails